The road to the 2021 season will get shorter than ever for five NTT INDYCAR SERIES teams Tuesday, as private testing will shift to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama, site of the season-opening Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama presented by AmFirst on Sunday, April 18.
While every team is focused on its unique objectives for testing on the 17-turn, 2.38-mile natural road course, it’s almost certain that most eyes will look at the Dale Coyne Racing with RWR pits because Formula One veteran Romain Grosjean will drive an Indy car for the first time.
Grosjean will compete in all road-and-street course events this season in the team’s No. 51 Honda. He is coming to INDYCAR from a nine-year F1 career that ended with the world watching as he escaped a fiery crash in the opening lap of the Bahrain Grand Prix in late November 2020 with burns to his hands.
The complete testing lineup:
- AJ Foyt Racing: Sebastien Bourdais, Dalton Kellett
- Dale Coyne Racing: Romain Grosjean, Ed Jones
- Ed Carpenter Racing: Conor Daly, Rinus VeeKay
- Rahal Letterman Racing: Graham Rahal, Takuma Sato
- Team Penske: Scott McLaughlin, Josef Newgarden, Simon Pagenaud, Will Power
No live timing or video will be available because this is a private test. But stay tuned to INDYCAR.com and INDYCAR social media for coverage throughout the day.