IN HIS OWN WORDS:
(after winning the 2013 Indianapolis 500): "I wanted this all my life. ... I was looking in the stands and it was unbelievable. I'm speechless. This is it. I made it."
- Ironman of Indy car racing with record 283 consecutive starts heading into 2018 - his first season driving for racing legend A.J. Foyt. Kanaan’s streak began in June 2001 at Portland.
- 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner
- 2004 Verizon IndyCar Series champion
- First Indy car driver to complete every lap of every race during a season (2004).
- Perennial fan favorite – voted Most Popular Driver in 2013.
- Dedicated runner and cyclist who has competed in numerous triathlon and Ironman competitions, including the Ironman World Championship in 2011.
- Counts late Formula One great Ayrton Senna as a mentor and friend after, as a young go-kart racer, he beat Senna in an impromptu race at Senna’s family farm in Brazil.
- Charitable work benefits underprivileged children in Brazil
- Speaks Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and English
- Had a tattoo, created late in 2015 by world-class Swedish tattoo artist Niki Norberg that depicts his greatest life achievements. Included in the design are the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s yard of bricks, the Borg-Warner Trophy – a symbol of his 2013 Indianapolis 500 win – handprints and footprints of his two oldest sons, their birthdays, the date he wed his wife, Lauren, and the top of the Rolex he won at the 2015 Rolex 24 At Daytona.
- Competed on 2016 season episodes of prime-time games shows "Celebrity Family Feud" and "American Ninja Warrior."
- Given name is Antoine Rizkallah Kanaan Filho.